We never did make it to Wednesday! By the time I posted my last post, I began to think things might be moving along at a quicker pace. My contractions were fairly far apart, but they were different. By 5:00pm, the intensity of the them was increasing, so I decided to begin timing them. I called my doula, Elizabeth, to let her know what was going on, and she directed me to using http://www.contractionmaster.com/ . Fantastic! It was so easy to use. All I had to do was push the space bar every time I felt my contraction begin, and then again when it was gone. The program did the rest. After tracking for about 1/2 an hour I knew things were moving fast. My contractions were between 3-6 minutes apart and lasting anywhere from 45secs- 2minutes in duration. I called Elizabeth to let her know the outcome and she said she was coming right away. She also told me to lie down because I still had to have "4hrs" of antibiotics for group B strep before delivering. I called Sam right after I got off the phone with her to give him an update and he was still at work. I let him know he needed to come home now, so he was on his way. I also called my mom, who was going to be staying with the kids, to let her know. It all got a little crazy from that point, because time kept clicking away, and nobody came to the house. My contractions we definitely getting harder so I knew I was progressing rather quickly. Finally around 6:20, my mom made it to our house. She was great. Taking charge of the kids and helping me stay calm was just what I needed. At 6:40, both Sam and Elizabeth made it to the house, after being stuck in massive traffic in different areas of the city. (Of course it chooses a day like this to be that way. :) ) Elizabeth decided she would drive with us to the hospital just to be on the safe side, and I was grateful for that. Sam could drive, Elizabeth could keep me distracted. We arrived at the hospital at 7:30. After admitting and prepping the room, they finally got me started on the antibiotics at 8:00pm. The nurse checked our progression, and I was already at an 8. Due to needing more time, I had to try and just relax and lay low for as long as possible. Sam and Elizabeth were great supports. As much as I wanted to be holding my baby asap, I knew it would need the most time I could give it. They helped me stay calm and focused. having a doula for support for Sam and I both was the best decision we have ever made! As we approached 10:00, everyone knew there was just no slowing things down any longer. I was fully dilated, my water still intact, but not for too much longer. Our baby and my body was ready. Dr. Watkins gave us the go ahead to push, assuring us that they would monitor the baby very closely after delivery for signs of infection. She felt very confident that we had had the antibiotics for a long enough time. After pushing through 5 or 6 contractions, our beautiful baby, A Baby Boy, was born. Alexander King Hardy!
It was quite a surprise though, because we expected a 7 pound bundle of joy, but introduced a 9 pound 9 ounce "linebacker" to the world. When he was completely delivered I kept waiting for Sam to tell me what we had, but little did I know, he could not see because of Alexander's hose of a cord. I saw and was overjoyed! I am so excited to have this special baby boy in our lives. It is indeed a miracle and a huge blessing! As Dr. Watkin's finished my stitches, she told Sam and I that our fear of his cord around his neck was actually a legitimate fear. It was indeed around his neck. (Sam even saw it as Alexander came out.) But, she said it was very loose and slipped off during delivery very easily. I knew that my fear and prayers were heard and answered. I am so grateful to have had Sam give me a priesthood blessing when that fear first bothered me months ago. It was not until this day that I really felt I just needed to depend and trust in the Lord that if He said things would be fine, they would. I think I have truly been humbled by this experience to listen to those small promptings because they can be a huge relief when we do.





No comments:
Post a Comment