Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Nothing Fun About Thrush!

Well Alexander and I both have thrush.  Absolutely NO FUN!!!! Alex got really really fussy on Saturday afternoon, and just would not nurse well at all. Being a week old, we still do not know exactly how his temperament will be, but this was pretty uncharacteristic to this point. I looked up symptoms of thrush online, having already feared its possibility before I had him due to my own history of yeast imbalance my entire pregnancy with him. Sure enough, he had every symptom. White patches on his gums, bumps beginning to appear on his bum, not nursing well, and very fussy. I was also "dying" every time he would latch on to nurse.  I thought it got easier as time went on, not worse! Being of course on a Saturday, Sam and I decided to wait until Monday to call the pediatrician. We were not going to visit the ER for thrush. Luckily the pedi. got Alex in right away on Monday, because he was pretty bad. Poor little guy! You could tell he was uncomfortable.  As for mom, relief could not come fast enough. I enjoy nursing my babies, but boy, knowing they have to nurse every 2 hours, and it will burn like crazy, NO THANKS! Now we are both on major meds just letting time take its course. Hopefully this will all be gone soon, and NEVER come back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment