Well, today I went in for my lab result consultation with my OB. I have to say that it was actually a huge relief. I found out that there is an almost definite reason to why I miscarry and have challenging pregnancies, and it can be corrected. Before I say anything else though, I have to say how incrediblly blessed Sam and I have been to have the 4 beautiful, healthy children we have. Knowing my situation, it could be very different for us. Today I was told that I have a genetic disorder called, in short, MTHFR. This is a disorder in where your body does not absorb folic acid properly and also forms clots, especially in pregnancy. I have always given EXTREME care when I have been pregnant to my body to make sure I take my prenatal vitamins and eat as healthy as I possibly can, but apparently with this condition, it is not enough. I am just really grateful that my body knows how to detect when there is a problem with a fetus and ends the pregnancy early. Now, however, we think we understand why my oldest sister was born with anacephalia(having only a brain stem and an open skull) many years ago, and passed away a birth. This is a hereditary disorder. I am so grateful that we have the technology to be able to test for these things, and now I will hopefully be able to help prevent issues like what my mom and I have gone through for my own daughters if they have it.
The "Cure": For now, I have to take 2 megastrength folic acid supplements each day and an asprin at night. If I do become pregnant, then I will be switched over to injections of a blood thinning medication. That part I do not like, but if it means a healthy successful pregnancy with a healthy baby, I would be so incredibally ecstatic! At this point in the game, it is something almost unimaginable. We are so excited at the possibility. I am so grateful for Heavenly Father's plan, and even though days have been really hard emationally, I know that he hears my prayers and knows our family's desires for another baby. I know that there is one waiting for us, it will just be when the time is right. For us, this time is an exciting one, maybe even one that might not have been possible had I still been pregnant. We are looking forward to the weeks ahead as we go on a majorly needed family vacation to Disney World. We can't wait.




No comments:
Post a Comment